Water in coop at night

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wilhiteranch, Jul 5, 2011.

1. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    When it's hot out will the chickens drink at night. Should I leave their water in the coop?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They cannot see in the dark. If they cannot see, they will not drink. If they have lioght, they may drink.

If you let then out fairly soon after they wake up, you do not need water or feed in the coop. If they are stuck in the coop for a long time after they wake up, they should have water and feed in the coop.

3. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    I have water in my coop as well as my run. The other night we were messing around with changing the watering system and I forgot to put the baby waterer back in the coop that night - the next morning they were SO thirsty, they were all clustered around the water drinking for about 5 minutes, it seemed like. They'll get water in their coop from now on, for sure.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Why would you want to take it out?

5. BuffsareBad

BuffsareBad Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I have water on the inside and out. No food on the inside. I figure that if I sleep a little on the weekend they wont be thirsty if Im late opening the door. No other reason

6. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    Quote:Its not that I want to take it out.. They are not even in the coop yet. I was just curious if others put water in the coop to or just the run.

7. Marshchick

Marshchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    I keep water in the coop all the time because I don't let them free range until around 11 a.m. They aren't laying yet, but I want them to get used to being in there for the morning to lay when they do start. The run isn't built yet, so having the water in the coop keeps the hydrated no matter what. I also have water in the yard for them.

8. Mamma_Duck04

Mamma_Duck04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Crazyville, VA
    I'd keep the water in the coop, or keep one in the run & coop. I put ice in mine & the better shade in the coop make a nice place for it. I find they drink quite a bit over night when they're stuck in their coops. They go in & drink at will, which is why I don't keep any outside. But I wouldn't NOT keep water in their coop. I disagree that they won't drink if it's dark. Plus, if it gets unusually hot or humid, or if for some reason, they don't get let out early or something, they'll at least have their water.

9. islandchix

islandchix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Hawaii
    I only put water in the coop if I plan on keeping them shut inside a little later.

10. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    I have both water and food in their coop. We just installed an A/C unit in the coop due to such high temps here I have noticed that the girls hang out in their cool coop instead of under their shade. I also put out a 6 qt.bucket of water and ice in their shady place when they do venture out of the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by