Water in Coop in winter

ThisoldNHhen

Chirping
Sep 8, 2020
New Hampshire
Hello, I am trying to figure out watering in the winter here in New Hampshire. First winter with chickens that I re-homed. Received a water heater along with chickens, but afraid to keep water in coop because of excess moisture. The water heater is just a round raised pad to set water on. So my question is... can I use that outside and not keep water in the coop? I have been using cups from rentacoop, but feel those would freeze using the pad indoors (and they always leak/spill leaving moisture under them). Thanks, really stressing over winter coming and birds freezing.

Hello, I am trying to figure out watering in the winter here in New Hampshire. First winter with chickens that I re-homed. Received a water heater along with chickens, but afraid to keep water in coop because of excess moisture. The water heater is just a round raised pad to set water on. So my question is... can I use that outside and not keep water in the coop? I have been using cups from rentacoop, but feel those would freeze using the pad indoors (and they always leak/spill leaving moisture under them). Thanks, really stressing over winter coming and birds freezing.
I keep a heated base fount waterer in the run and a bird bath deicer in a bucket with loose fitting lid on it with horizontal nipples for a heated waterer in the coop. Both have worked well down to -20F.
All waterers are best kept at chest height to minimize them getting dirty and the chickens dipping wattles in the water during freezing weather.

There is no need for water in the coop; they should only be in there to sleep / lay ( if that’s where nesting boxes are located ). Chickens don’t eat or drink at night as they can’t see in the dark. Water in the coop at night in the winter acts like an air conditioner, and creates moisture in the air that settles on their combs and can turn into frostbite.

I always have water & feed in the coop & I have never had problems with humidity or spilled water. It is on a raised bulb crate maybe 6-8 inches high & the heater base makes it higher in the winter. I have mine in the coop, because I normally have light in the winter & my door only opens at sunrise. If you have your waterer positioned correctly & adequate ventilation, there should not be a problem.

Use cleaned out milk jugs/or the heavier white vinegar gallon jugs. Cut out one side for chickens to get a drink, cut out back to fill from outside of run. Cut handle so it hangs on hard wire. During freezing weather. switch out in morning and again in afternoon with another container. (remember to refill with cold water not warm, warm water freezes quicker than cold).

I have been using cups from rentacoop, but feel those would freeze using the pad indoors (and they always leak/spill leaving moisture under them). Thanks, really stressing over winter coming and birds freezing.
The first winter is nerve racking, but you'll get thru it.

I keep both feed and water inside the coop....because of supplemental lighting coming on before the sun...and my run is not weather proof and they can spend days on end inside the coop during cold snaps and blizzards.

Train them now to use Horizontal Nipples.....
Then you can either buy a heated waterer
or build one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/

Back
Top Bottom