Water in coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moodlymoo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Does anyone keep their water in the coop? Our coop is 10x10 and we have 18 chickens. I keep the water and food in the coop because we have no place outside out of the rain to keep it. Is there anything wrong with that? The coop is well ventilated with 2 large windows and 3 good sized vents. I may cover a few this winter to keep it warmer in the coop.

2. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I keep their food in the coop and water outside but I don't see why you can't leave them both in the coop.

3. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Hi mm,

oh boy! I keep water and food in their coop, because at the moment
    I don't really have any choice about it.

Every day, the water needs changing because it has poop in it, and is
    generally really dirty and that's with just 10 girls in a space a little larger
    than yours with a large run. Sometimes, the girls will tip the bucket over.

What I do is to have two large buckets, and I swap them to give me
    a chance to clean the used one thoroughly.

In my next coop, I have an idea to have water-nipples with a reservoir
    on the outside...I must do less coop cleaning work and more chicken-watching!

4. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    I keep both inside the coop. I hang the water in the summer, and over the winter I set it on a heater. I put a small pallet under the water with a pot saucer to catch any spills inside it. It makes it easier for me to clean up that way. As long as they have plenty of room there should be no problem.

5. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I use a LeBistro dog waterer set up on concrete blocks inside our coop, but we've just moved the girls to a new (bigger) coop and are trying to get them to adjust to it before letting them free-range it again too. Thought I'd keep it in there for the winter months, but haven't completely decided that just yet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I keep both water and food in their coop, I do however mostly put treats outside and I will put their water outside when I'm cleaning the coop since I shut the pop door.

I keep my water on an upside down crate, that way it isn't on the floor and they don't knock it around.

7. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    They only get treats outside and have a waterer outside as well. They do have a flock block in the coop but they dont really show any interest in it so it may come out soon. I like the idea of putting it on a pallet. Currently its on bricks but I dont like it. I may throw a stepping stone down too

8. OneTenthAcreAndAChicken

OneTenthAcreAndAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    San Diego
    I keep food and water inside the coop as well as the run, but I only have 4 and they're not in the coop too much.

I do keep the water elevated on blocks so they don't kick as much shavings in. I change it daily, but it doesn't get too bad... they've never knocked it over or anything like that.

9. Mr C

Mr C New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    I have 32 Delawares. I keep their 2 waterers inside as well as their 40# feeder that hangs fron the ceiling.

The waterers are 5 gallons and 8 gallons. The 5 is on a cinder block and the 8 has legs. The water stays clean until it gets into the drinking area where it is impossible to keep clean. They get dirt, shavings and a lot of dust in it. I clean it out as needed.

I put a bit of apple cider viniger in each one each time I fill them.

The coop is 12x16 so room is not a problem.

10. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:Do I have enough room for my 18 girls? 3 and bantam cochins, 1 d'uccle, and 15 girls who will be LF birds. They free range for 5hrs or so and have a 4x16 run. I really hope so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by