1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Water in winter-ever use a Little Giant

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Farmer Kitty, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I went looking for a heater for my chicken water at our local farm supply store and found a Little Giant Electric Heater Base #HB125. I was wondering if anyone has use one or a similar heater? And how well it worked? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Do you need to worry about the water getting to hot?

4. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I saw those at Tractor supply, but I could'nt bring myself to pay $41.00 and change for it. I have had NO LUCK finding a heated dog bowl either. Only online, and they were pretty expensive. I have'nt seen any at Petco or Petsmart. Maybe it has to be full blown winter before they get them on the shelves.[​IMG]

I like that homemade one, but my chickens get rowdy and I would be worried they would spill water on the cord or even knock the whole thing over.
    Its my first winter with chickens so I'm going to try something I have already. I think I'm just going to go with a heat light over the water. Unless I find a cheap heated dog bowl.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:It's not that expensive here-$34. I'm also worried about the saftey of the homemade one but, only because last winter we had a water tank heater for the heifers almost cause a barn fire. I would use a silicone sealant to seal the cord hole if I were to make one.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We bought an electric heater base like that, to use with a large metal waterer. It worked fine. We put it up on a platform of cinder blocks, to keep it away from the litter. I also bought a heated dog bowl, like they have online at Drs. Foster and Smith. It has also worked fine. I think a lot of different options work well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by