Water in winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Zigmont, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    I leave for work in the dark and get home in the dark ..I don't have electricity in the coop. In New Jersey. It is getting cold and of course the water freezes. Is it enough water for them if I provide Luke warm water every morning?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Any idea how long the water is staying liquid before it freezes??? Obviously, for good health, your birds should have access to liquid water several times a day. I know mine always grab a drink before heading back into the coop for the evening. I'd suggest those big thick rubber bowls with VERY warm water each morning, placed in an area totally blocked from any wind. Not sure what else to tell you, other than finding someone who'd come by and water them each afternooon??? Water is just so important to bird health.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you run an orange extention cord (50 or 100ft.) to your coop? A $20-30 heated dog bowl would run great on that and holds about a gallon which you could fill up twice a day.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm in Kansas and if I pour a jug of boiling water into a bowl at 7am, it will be frozen by 9am on some of the cold days in winter here, so no, I don't think a little lukewarm water is going to suffice.

5. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Thanks everyone. We had such a late winter here, it hasn't been a problem. I had chickens years ago and did not heat their water, but I wasn't gone so long during the day. I am already heating the horse trough with an extension cord. With two separate chicken areas, that would be three cords over three hundred feet to the chickens and six hundred to the barn. We planned on getting electricity this summer, but couldn't swing the cost. I will have to do something quick.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If you have a small number of birds, then consider in addition to the morning watering a good handfull of vegetables or fruit (old and nearly rotten just fine) as supplemental water source they can more readily chip at than frozen water.

7. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Last winter was my first winter with my chickens. Every morning I would fill up my water jug with hot water and pour it over the ice. The ice would melt, the birds would drink. Repeat mid afternoon.

The ladies stayed happy and hydrated enough to lay all winter.....

8. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I go to work after the girls have gone to bed and I let them out after I come home in the morning. I just take warm water out with me when I let them out and pour it over the frozen stuff and it stays that way all day. I live in Washington State, so the freezing part is not too big a deal here on the west side of the mountains. I have other various dishes around the yard for them, but the main water I thaw out when it needs it. Good luck to you.

9. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    the hotter the water the fast it freezes.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:You know, I've been reading about those tests (which are always worded "can" rather than "do"). They suggest that evaporation can play a role in that (less water in the container due to evap). But my hypothesis would be that when using those thick rubber livestock bowls, the rubber would absorb some of the heat from the hot water (or cold from the cold water), and would help hold whichever temp. stable, longer. Maybe I need to do a test...lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by