Water in Winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cluck cluck 123, Aug 19, 2013.

1. cluck cluck 123

cluck cluck 123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    In winter the chickens water always gets frozen and we use up more than 30 containers giving them more water. Does anyone know what to do?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. balbrt1

balbrt1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Illinois
    Most farm stores sell heated water containers. Thinking of getting a couple myself. They need just as much water in winter as summer.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    There are so many methods I'm just going to tell you to put "keeping water unfrozen" in the search bar. You'll find threads on just about any method. Things like cookie tin heaters, heated dog bowls, submersible heaters. etc. The method you choose depends a lot on what resources you have.

4. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
  5. balbrt1

balbrt1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Illinois
    This would be worth a try.

6. twochickens

twochickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    I was wondering the same thing for our two! def have to try some of these things ( first time having chickens in the winter in michigan for us)

7. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Go for it! Luckily I had a few of those Tins just lying around. And the lamp kits cost about 7 bucks at lowes so it's pretty cheap and quick!

8. bells brood

bells brood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    i will be facing this problem in VA this winter - new at chickens. have a chicken tractor so not sure if i want an extension cord running through my hores pasture. for the horses in winter, i fill a 100 gallon tub with 250' of hosing, then have to drain the hose to prevent it from freezing. if i only had to water the chickens ever two or three wekks, no problem, but daily!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by