Water inside the coop? What do YOU do?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pequena Bandada, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    My chicken farmer friends nearby seem evenly split - some provide food and water only in the run, and some provide water inside the coop (one provides food and water both inside and out). So I'm guessing there's no right answer. But what do YOU do?

Food/water only outside?

Food outside and water inside/outside?

Food/water both inside and out?

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    mine are outside but i also don't lock mine up at night. If you lock them up at night i would put the water in so they can get a drink if it gets hot! Just keep the feed outside.........

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, let me tell you that I've done both. I've learned that it's better to keep the food inside, because when it gets wet for any reason, IT STINKS! LOL And water, well, I keep water inside and outside.

Right now, here in Ohio, it's in the 90s, so I want to make sure everybody has easy access to water, and so I also change the water several times a day when it's super hot like this--even putting ice in the water. I take these empty cool whip tubs that I save, and fill them with water to make big ice chunks to put in their water. They have actually been panting and hanging their wings out, so I know they're blazing hot.......

So, food inside, and water in and out is my answer.

Hope that helps!

4. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:That is brilliant!

5. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    food and water inside... I may shortly add a water outside, its just heating up here.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Water inside the coop and outside, with a hose rigged to drip into their water bowl so it never goes empty.
    Feeder in the coop only. I feed treats outside.

7. BonnieJean

BonnieJean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have a feeder and waterer inside the coop, and another nipple-style waterer in the run.

8. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    water inside and outside... food.. outside only.. if i werent going to let them out of the coop one day for any reason... i'd put the food inside that day

9. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    food and water outside because I have a small coop and much bigger run. I put a roof on the run also so no problem with food getting wet.

10. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Water inside feed outside:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by