water intake

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seahuntmike, Feb 2, 2015.

1. seahuntmike

seahuntmike Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    My 3 hens(possibly 2 with 1 roo)have what seems to me almost doubled there water intake. Weather here is very mild.is this a sign the they are possibly going to start laying.they are approximately 17 weeks old

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be....have you changed their feed or confinement in any way?
    Might be they were getting a more moisture laden food before and now they are not?
    Did they have access to another water source before and now it is gone or now inaccessible?

3. seahuntmike

Dec 23, 2014
    food hasn't changed everything is the same

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Water intake in my flock is something I've been curious about. It seems that different chickens have different water needs for whatever benign reason.

I have two flock groups. In one pen I have four hens. In the other pen I have thirteen hens. The four hens in the one pen drink the same amount of water as all thirteen hens in the other pen put together. I do know that I see one hen in particular, in the pen of four, who seems to be at the water fount the most often. She has always had very watery squirts her entire four years.

You might observe your flock and see if you notice one chicken in particular drinking a lot, and what their poops are like. My hen with the "splorts", has always been perfectly healthy in every other respect. So this development with the water intake isn't necessarily something you need to be concerned about.

5. seahuntmike

Dec 23, 2014
    thanks. ive been keeping an eye on them. Everything else seems to be normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by