Water leaking out of my bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennyhaschicks, May 8, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    We have the Little Giant (or is it Lil Giant) bator we bought at the feed store. We hatched our first five chicks almost a week ago. When I washed it out I used warm water and a bit of dish detergent. I then used a very small amount of diluted bleach. I rinsed well too. I didn't bang on the bator or bend it in any way. When ever we fill the troughs with water it just leaks out. It's a slow leak, but all the water is not leaking the bator dry. We didn't notice this until a day after we put our eggs in. It's styrofoam... Do you think the small amount of bleach could have done this? We can't see any cracks and/or holes and can't figure it out. Anyone have any input?? We have taken a bowl of water and put that in there since it won't hold water.

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    They make a clear liner you can buy which would help make clean up easier too. Or if you can add a little colored water and see if you can find the leak you could seal it with clear nail polish.

3. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have never heard of the clear liner. Do you know where I could buy one? I hate to do the food coloring now because I have eggs in there and it could be a big mess.
    I can't imagine what I did. I was so gentle with it.

4. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    I saw a clear liner in my www.eggcartons.com magazine.
    I would assume they sell them on their website also.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  5. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you so much! The both of you!! I think I am going to purchase this later on today.
    Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by