Water loving plant?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Cats Critters, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I'm tring to find a plant that can grow in a damp place, and chickens can eat. We have a kitchen sink that drains out and makes a damp muddy patch, the chickens love all the new green plants that grow there. So what plants would do well? Also I'm in PA.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. Cats Critters

Any Ideas?

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Your selection for water loving plants that chickens can eat may be a bit tough.

Most rush type grasses LOVE to have wet feet. Horsetail, Juncus patens, etc.... do a Google search for riparian plants and you may find something! Good luck!

4. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    I know "loosestrife" is a water loving plant.It grows near ponds,I have some,so far the chickens never bother it.I'd look it up first to see if it's poisonious to animals.Here is a pic of my purple loosestrife.It can be invasive tho,but I love it.It takes years to get out of hand....
    [​IMG]

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That is gorgeous Sunbury Chick!! I don't think we have that in California... At least not that I have seen... [​IMG]

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Loosetrife is choking out our native milkweed...please use caution .
    Monarch butterflies rely on milkweed to reproduce.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
  7. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    cattails???
    Reeds??
    water lillies?
    ferns around the dryer parts?

8. Cats Critters

cattails???
    Reeds??
    water lillies?

It's not that deep toppests its an inch.
    Also I don't want an invasive plant, and please add where you can get any plants (walmart,garden center, etc.) for this space.​

9. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Is it always that damp? If it's perpetually soggy, you can do cranberries. Cranberry seeds here. Plants here. Also, elderberries and that lemonade type of sumac will put up with quite a lot of water. Most all the seed and plant catalogs are offering elderberry bushes (Jung Seeds, Nourse Farm, etc.).

10. Cats Critters

Is it always that damp?

most of the time but it varies
    If it's perpetually soggy, you can do cranberries. Cranberry seeds here. Plants here. Also, elderberries and that lemonade type of sumac will put up

thanks, but we don't eat any of those things and I'm not sure if there safe for chickens.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by