Water & Mallard ducklings???? HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aussiedude248, Dec 29, 2010.

1. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    So I got my Mallard ducklings today for Metzers there doing fine but I read somewhere that they can drown there selfs of drinking to much water!!! [​IMG] So now I m freaking out because there just dappling and always by the water but they are a water duck too so IDK please help!!

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I didnt read about duckling drowning them selves with water untill a few weeks ago...so untill I read it I had nothing to worry about. Mine dabbled, and dabbled and made a huge mess, by day 4 there was a bigger mess, by week 3. OMG you have no idea!![​IMG]
    I wouldnt worry, enjoy them

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I watched my ducklings very closely when I put them into their pool for swimming but they always had a dish of water that they could drink from. [​IMG] I don't think I limited water at all. (does this help)

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    If you have water just for them to swim in------bigger than their drinking water container------don't leave them alone while they have access to it, and make sure they are able to get out if they get tired. I don't think they will drown in their drinking water, as long as it's in a container they can't get into (such as a poultry waterer that the water goes down into a shallow receptacle, or a margarine container with a lid on it, and a small space cut out of the lid for them to drink. Also, they shouldn't really be allowed to swim until they are about a month old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  5. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Just don't leave them alone in any depth of water. They are still young and need to start to learn how to preen which brings out the oils. That's what makes them "water-proof". Until then, they will be wet mini mops.

If you have them indoors, dry them off slightly with a bath towel until they get a bit bigger. Have the camera ready....
    Have fun! [​IMG]

6. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Thank You guys there fine I put them in my mom and dads bathroom and then we put a space heater fan thing in there because there only 3 days old and suppose to be at 90* but they are fine they LOVE my shoulder and the MIRROR. The biggest one Louie is a BIG cuddler, Huey the meduim size one is a mirror hogger and loves to clean him self, and Dewey the "runt" is just a little stinker he nibs at there legs and hides under there belly and splashes the water and rolls in the pine shavings UGH.. Don't you just love them!! [​IMG]

7. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    marbles in the water drinker helps. this way they dont splash or drown. at this point as long as you dont let them swim (RESIST THE URGE!) they shouldnt drown. just dont let them get cold, wet or too terribly dirty and your almost garunteed to have happy healthy ducklings.
    Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by