Water miser nipple

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dubchickengirl, Apr 7, 2011.

1. dubchickengirl

dubchickengirl New Egg

Apr 1, 2011
    I bought one of the Avian Water miser nipples. How old do the chicks have to be to use this? They are trying to drink from it, but it doesn't seem to me that they get much water at a time from these things. Can anyone give me advice? So many thanks.

2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    The thing with those nipple waterers, is that they only as much water as they need, and if they want or need more then they stay at the nipple.

I've seen day old chicks use them.

3. bristolsouth

bristolsouth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    South Carolina
    I just brought chicks home yesterday, and since my local feed store didn't have the Aqua Miser nipples, I opted for a rabbit bottle with a nipple-type thingy on it. I.e., it looks like the water bottles I used for rabbits, rats, hamsters, etc. as a kid, but at the end of the bent metal tube, instead of a ball, there's a metal pin/stick thing. I've tested it with my finger, I know it works, but my chicks don't seem to get it. After a couple of hours I gave up and put a little ceramic bowl of water in the brooder. They RAN to it! I left the rabbit bottle in, but maybe they like what they're used to (the bowl)?

So, here's my worry and question: Are they strong enough to make the rabbit bottle release water with the pin/nipple? (They're all between 3 and 6 days old.) Will they learn to use the bottle better if they don't have the bowl?

4. chicky_mommy

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    they will learn to use the bottle/nipple better and faster if they don't have easier access to water in a bowl

make sure they can reach it, take one chick and drip a few drops onto the tip of its beak or onto its toes, it will get the picture and show the others.

5. bristolsouth

Apr 7, 2011
    South Carolina
    I'm just terrified they'll dehydrate! What signs do I look for to know they aren't getting it?

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    They'll figure it out pretty quickly. Chickens LOVE to peck anything shiny.

7. chicky_mommy

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    if they get lethargic or start to loose feathers then give them the bowl to be safe.

8. bristolsouth

Apr 7, 2011
    South Carolina
    OK. Thank you all for your help! And so quickly, too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by