Water mister for the flock

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kmac1, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma
    I'm kinda new to raising chickens (we raised them till I was about 10-12 yrs old) now I have some of my own. With the temperature upper 90's to low 100's can I put a water mister out in their run. The only shade they have is in their coop and it is small with a tin roof.

2. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Extreme triple digit heat will cause a lot of stress and impact egg production. I would install the mister if your run has no shade for your birds. That is a great idea.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If their run has no shade, you need to find a way to provide some shade for them. Shade cloth, some type of shade roof, something.
    Shade makes hot temps easier on the birds.

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I used shade cloth, it's easy to install, and you can get it in various % shading. Mine that I had on my garden was 30%, and when I took it for the chicken run, I doubled it. Not sure if that = 60% but it makes a difference. I got it on ebay last year, and it was not expensive for the amt. I bought.

5. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome advice.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They'll need deep shade and a mister...not sure a mister would do much good in the broiling sun.

7. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will go today get the shade cloth and the mister. The only shade they have is the small coop they have now as I build a new 14x7 coop. I just want to keep them happy and healthy till I can get their new housing finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by