water mister

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fdehaven, Jul 22, 2011.

1. fdehaven

fdehaven Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Woodland, PA
    I just bought a water mister for my girls and was wondering were I should put it. Under the coop in the shaded area or out in the run.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I put it in the shady spot, wherever they tend to hang out during the day. I would put it out in the run.

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Misters are useless in areas of high humidity, say over 50%. In the desert southwest of the U.S. they can be of benefit. Evaporation of water off of chicken feathers has NO cooling effect on the chicken whatsoever. Their heat is held in UNDERNEATH their feathers, which is why you see all birds (not just chickens) holding out their wings in hot weather; this releases heat from underneath the feathers. The chicks are attracted to the mist in the air though as they are curious about everything. Water in the air! Neat! Another negative is that the mist can get the run/coop floor wet and keep it that way, which is a terrific way to grow bacteria.

Fans will help much, much more than misters.

4. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have misters in my run which has a sand floor. I respectfully disagree with the above post. Even if the girls are not getting the water down to the skin, it keeps the sand moist and cool, they dig holes in the sand and bathe in the cool sand. We have had the misters for over a month and they really seem to like it. We run them from around noon till the sun goes down. It has been over 100 degrees every day here for 25 straight days and when I turn the misters and the fans on, they stop panting. I say do whatever you can to help keep your girls cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by