Water Moccasins in Pond

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by nddaddy, Feb 24, 2013.

1. nddaddy

nddaddy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    We just bought some land (3 acres). In part of clearing it off, there is a pond with water moccasins in it.

I'd like to keep the pond to keep ducks as well.

Do guineas do a good job of getting rid of them? Also I'm not out there everyday, is that okay for guineas?

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I know nothing about water moccasins other than that they are poisonous and they can swim... so I have no personal experience with Guineas controlling them. Guineas won't go in the water, but if the snakes come onto land often the Guineas may help control them, but it's hard to say. Some Guineas are very effective snake control, others are not. Mine take care of rattle snakes and gopher snakes of all sizes here on my 10 acres... but a lot of people say their Guineas do nothing but give the large snakes a wide birth.

3. MiniHorses

MiniHorses Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    WOW...water moccassins are nasty, fat and nasty. Can be large. Yes, poison and you need someone with a gun and who is a really good shot! Pigs are good at clearing out snakes, in general. But many animals will stay out of the way of a snake.......except a good ole boy and a gun.

Personally, I'd try to irradicate with the knowledge that the "deed was done".

4. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    This ^ is what I would do. I get rid of those creepy things asap (except I might not do the poison b/c of possible collateral damage), but I'd be the first one out there with a gun. I wouldn't depend on guineas! They're fickle little buggers.

5. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Are you sure they are water moccasins and not non-poisonous water snakes? There are some 200 species of non-venomous water snakes in the US. They mostly feed on fish and amphibians, though bigger ones do sometimes eat small rodents and small birds which could be a problem if you will have ducklings around the pond, otherwise they will not cause problems and are beneficial to the ponds Eco system.

6. nddaddy

nddaddy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Yes, I'm sure they are. We've had a person come out and confirm, but they don't remove water moccasins.

I don't even have a gun, so not sure that's a route. We may consider pigs as well.

7. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Then I would definetly get rid of them. I had no idea pigs would kill snakes, but that sounds like a plan.

8. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Buy a cheap shot gun and go to work getting rid of them, They will either kill your small birds or if they happen to bite you or some else there will be a problem, It is a shame to have a nice pond and not be able to use it.

9. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    This species of snake is common prey of
    snapping turtles
    American alligators
    horned owls
    eagles,
    hawks (red-shouldered),
    loggerhead shrikes
    and large wading birds, such as
    herons, cranes and egrets.

Why not get a few herons for you pond - or an alligator!

Only joking!

I would clear the banks and land around the pond, and keep the grass very short all around. The ducks and geese will help to clear the pond vegetation. Then the snakes will disperse because they don't have any places to hide from predators or shelter.

If you keep the pond clear of vegetation, fallen trees, etc and keep the area around it open and short, you will easily be able to spot any snake on the ground and so avoid stepping on it - so you will help protect yourself form getting bitten. Also the snake will see you first and flee.

10. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    If you have a big snake problem, you could also drain the pond and go from there, It will refill, it will also give you a chance to clean out the pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by