Water moccasins Living on farm?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MMPoultryFarms, Jul 12, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Don't water moccasins need water to live? My pond is a quarter of a mile or better from my house. We have dispatched 3 so far. a 4th one got away and were still looking for it? any idea why they have moved to my house over the pond theres no water other then waterers. Other then the obvious? Chickens.

2. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    They need water as does any living creature, but they're not a purely aquatic creature. They'll go where the food is, where the temperature is right, etc.

3. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Any solutions to getting rid of them? I was thinking about buying like 10 guinea's anyone know if these really keep snakes away?

4. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's due to the wet weather that we have been having. Both turtles and snakes are on the move.

Once the food supply starts to run out as it dries they will go away.

5. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:The food Supply Wont go away I raise chickens [​IMG] I have 300+ atm [​IMG]

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    They are not really interested in the full grown birds. They are after the small prey such as mice and rats and smaller chicks.

Hardware cloth will keep them out of the pens and that bird netting that you can buy at WalMart will also stop them as they get tangled in it.

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    glue traps and eel pots they are fairly easy to catch, northern water snakes are mistaken for cottonmouths around here water snakes stink and are fairly aggressive a cottonmouth will float higher in the water then a water snake most times you will only see a water snakes head a cottonmouth the whole body will be on top of the water . good luck

8. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:These are flull blown Water Mocc's I have decapitated everyone I have caught 3 thus far. I also hunt rattle snakes So I am familure with pit vipers Infact I got som Rattle snake meat thawing out now from a 5 and a half footer lol

9. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    MM - I grew up in Florida surrounded by canals, and the water mocc's spent a lot of time up in the grass sunning. Sounds like you are handling them the same way we did - we cut their heads off with a machete

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:Well i have over 100 guineas and i still see snakes here,i have even tried once to see what they would do to a garter snake, they chattered at it and walked away, but i have see them running after each other over a baby snake dinner,

My geese are the same way they just look at it and walk on by,

One of my cats kills smaller snakes the other will just walk right past it.

I have found my dogs with a dead moccasin this year but they don't seem to bother the non venomous much they just check them out and move on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by