Water Nipple Success!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by youngjedi32002, May 9, 2011.

1. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    I ordered a water dispenser from Avian Aqua Miser. They sell kits to make your own too but I ordered the premade version. I had read a lot on here about birds having trouble switching from the basic water fountain on the ground to the above-the-head water nipple. I was worried they wouldn't get it. In less that 5 min. every one of my hens was tapping at it! It was great! I am so thrilled to not have to lug that gallon jug to the run in the morning and flip it over, sloshing it all over! The water stays clean and the girls tap at it! And, the best part and my motivation for switching, they have more room now! That fountain jug was on a stand and it took up a lot of space! Now, I am going to make a feed dispenser out of PVC pipe so I can get rid of the food dish and open up some more space!!!

2. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Pictures!!!!

3. DingleBay

DingleBay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Do they drip much? I want to put a setup inside my coop but don't want the litter to get wet.

4. youngjedi32002

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    I have a picture of my Buff Orpington, Gwen, working it like a pro that I am trying to figure out how to post! I haven't noticed any dripping at all but mine is brand new! I don't know how they age! I love the space it frees up!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  5. youngjedi32002

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    See the little bench with the jug water dispenser on it in the background of this picture? It is gone so they have a new dust bath place!

6. dfclimber

dfclimber Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    North of Boston,MA
    my hens and chicks all learned to drink from it within hours.

If yours are having trouble learning
    -- remove their exsisting waterer
    -- frequently tap on the nipple so there remains a small drop of water that they can see
    -- for chicks you can pick them up and tap their beaks on the waterer- they will get the idea

I bought my poultry nipples from farmtek both push in type and screw in. I find the push in with rubber gromet works better for thin jugs (be gently installing them as the jugs breaks) and the screw in for thicker materials (pvc) . For 2 or 5 gallon bucket either will work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by