1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water Nipples - good to have extra?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I am trying to find a good price for Water Nipple and found some on e-Bay and a lot of them are buy-it-now with free shipping, but they come in large quantities. Is it good to have extras or do they last a long while?

Right now we are using a regular chick waterer and a rabbit bottle and the chicks have taken to the water bottle really quickly so I think for the move outside that nipples would be best.

Also, which is better the screw in type or the push in type? All of the ones on e-Bay are screw in type.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm using the push-in type which was recommended for installation in plastic buckets. The threaded type works best with thicker, less flexible materials like PVC pipe.

They are supposed to be a long-lasting, low-maintenance product. The grommet would probably be the thing that would deteriorate eventually and you can buy replacement grommets.

There is a guy on these boards who sells them in any quantity you need (Neil Grassbaugh) or you can order online from places like QC Supply and get the number you want.

4. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    Thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by