Water, not poo coming from my hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SheriLee, Aug 16, 2013.

1. SheriLee

SheriLee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Long Island New York
    I just noticed some watery areas in my chicken pen. When I let my girls out to free range, I suddenly noticed it outside as well. Then I observed two of the hens squirting out water from their bottoms. Once it was just water, then a little wet poo with it and now it looks like it contains a light red pasty substance. Doesn't look like blood though. I gave them some overripe (not rotten) watermelon a little while ago. I'm wondering if that could be the cause? It's not hot out, and they have been eating. All are acting normally. Any clues? Thanks~

2. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    My chickens poop all kinds of funky when I feed them watermelon - that's probably it - but keep an eye on it - if it lasts more than 24 hours or gets worse, probably something else.

3. SheriLee

Mar 18, 2013
    Long Island New York
    Thank you! I figured because it was over ripe and extremely watery, it was coming right back out. Coincidence that they started this shortly after I fed it to them maybe.

4. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Hopefully they'll be fine. It happens with perfectly ripe watermelon, too, so you didn't do anything wrong. Oh - and heads up for the future - if you ever toss them an ear of fresh corn, prepare yourself for what you will swear is alien poop.

5. SheriLee

Mar 18, 2013
    Long Island New York
    lol!! Funny, I just gave them some corn off the cob the other day...that I expected!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by