1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water outside the coop only?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maxslug, Jan 29, 2011.

1. maxslug

maxslug Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Hi, I just got a coop and am in the process of setting it up. I have a permanently attached run, but am planning to shut the door the coop every night.
    The coop is pretty small so I was thinking of not putting a waterer inside it. I've seen people on here who have setup both ways, but I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with having water outside only?

Thanks!
    -m

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG]

My coop is pretty huge, and at first I had the waterers outside only, because it rains a lot here, I have livestock who share half the "waterers" and inside just makes a mess and takes up space, but now I use one inside too so my younger chicks, pullets, and cockerels don't have to wander out into the pasture on their own just to find water. So far, both ways work just fine. [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have water and food only in the run, but I am careful to let them out early in the morning, and not rush them to bed at night. (I remove the food at night.)

Oh- the ones who are 6-8 weeks and under get food and water in the coops.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I think it depends a lot on your care schedule/habits. If you get up very early to tend the birds you can probably leave the food and water out of the coop. I, on the other hand sleep late and they need food and water early upon waking, so I leave it in the coop. A good many BYC members prefer to have it in the coop for the flock to eat/drink before bedtime and early in the morning. I think it is more of a style choice than a hard, fast rule.

5. maxslug

maxslug Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the responses (and the welcome)!

If there's one thing I've never been accused of, it's being an early riser [​IMG] So, I'm gathering that it's very important for hens to have water first thing in the morning, and that making them wait isn't the best idea.

I think I'm going to go one of two routes :
    1. Make a nipple feeder with the water source outside the coop. These don't take much room inside
    2. Fortify the run a little more w/ an apron and leave the door open all the time. The run is already fully enclosed w/ welded wire and is aproned with paving stones/bricks. But if I'm leaving the door open 24/7 I might add some wire around the edges where the bricks meet the wood.

-m

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Where are my manners? Maxslug, [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1 [​IMG]

8. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

My chickens sleep late on saturdays with no ill effects, and the food and water are outside the coop. I guess if it were everyday it might be a problem...but once in a while, everybody needs a sleep in [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by