1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

water pan question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monster1, May 11, 2009.

1. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

can i use an aluminum disposable pan for a water pan? you know, the pie tin type.

thanks

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I do not see why not, however I would not use it due to it's light and disposable nature (potential leaking).

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I used one because I didn't have anything else the right size and tall enough to keep the babies out. It worked out fine, but i'm replacing it if I can find one the right size.

4. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I would think it would be too big, and the little chickies would jump in and possibly drown or at least get all wet.

Or am I not understanding something?[​IMG]

5. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:actually, the way i built my igloobator, i designed it so that the eggs(chicks, goslings, ducklings, etc) are never able to contact the water tray, fan, thermostat, or light bulb. the hatching tray is directly on top of the tray with no danger of the babies being able to get in there. the reason i asked the question is that i wondered if there would be any chemical reaction due to the amount of time the water would be standing in the foil pan, thus causing a bad hatch. i guess not.

thanks,
    monty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by