water placement small coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Monstro, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Monstro

Monstro Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2014
    Wayland, MI
    We have a small coop, 4x4x4 cube plus roof peek area. 4 pullets.
    Noticed this morning when getting down from roost two of them managed to get a foot in the water dish. Not good with michigan climate, especially if snow ever sticks.
    What can i do with the water? During warmer months had a standard chicken waterer in same spot no issues. But now using a rubber bowl so i can beat out ice. Would creating a moat with gallon jug in center help? Not sure where else to move it thats not under roost. Their are 3 external nest boxes currently blocked off since not laying. Im afraid if i unblock 2, remove one divider, and place water there. It would just cause problems when they do start to lay. (Oldest 2 are almost 6 months)
    Thanks

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    For 4 pullets you really don't need 3 nest boxes. 1 for every 4 is supposed to be enough. I have 6 hens sharing 2 nests and even when 1 or 2 get broody moods it works out ( not hatching- no roos).

So I think taking one of the nests is a workable solution. Or add a homemade small table over the fount so no poo from roosts above and it would be a landing area to prevent landing in the bowl?

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hello from a Michigan native!

Do you happen to have a covered run attached to your coop? If so, I would recommend putting the waterer in the run rather than in the coop. It would stay cleaner in the run, and moisture from the waterer would not contribute to moisture in the coop (this scenario increases the risk of frostbite on combs and wattles).

For cold winter climates, like Michigan, I highly recommend a galvanized waterer sitting on a heated base. I run an extension cord to the heated base to keep water from freezing. It saves multiple daily trips to change out frozen water.

4. Monstro

Monstro Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2014
    Wayland, MI
    Never thought about a table/cover, we have enough scrap to make one too. Been thinking of using one box for storage anyway, 3 just fit along one wall when we built it

No covered run, made of portable panels. This coop is intended as a temp until summer, when we can fix up an old building and get more. No electric to coop either. Using DL, unsure about using heated dog bowl or anything with the pine shavings. Water bowl sits on part of fallen tree round to stay mostly clean from shavings.

5. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    This is one of my waterers.... It is about 4' tall and extends outside the run, using 2 45 deg elbows... for easily adding water... I have an aquarium heater slid down inside it to keep the water liquid... works well for me.... all the water and feed is in the run... keeps the coop clean... no poop in the coop except on the poop board under the roost....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by