Water Placement

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by xcalibor67, Apr 30, 2017.

1. xcalibor67

xcalibor67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2017
    Hi. I was wondering if there were any cons about having my water system inside the coop?. In my head it had several pro's. Since i had access to a main cold water supply line from under my home, i merely piped a line from under the house into the coop. Im also thinking/hoping that the water will not freeze in the winter. I will have 16 birds and a light if necessary in the coldest parts.. I also have my main feeder inside the coop as well. Please advise if there are any reasons why i shouldn't water or feed inside the coop, thanks.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    There is no need for water or food to be inside the coop itself if your birds have access to a run. They use the coop to lay eggs and roost, not hang out in during the day. Birds prefer to be outside. Where it is needed and only if coops are of adequate size is if birds are cooped for periods of time; some coop birds during worst of winter for instance. I provide a shelter area outside of coop in winter so still don't put water or feed in the coop.

3. bkbandit

bkbandit Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    What about the weather? Do you have a auto/gravity feeder or do you feed every day? I have a Waterer in the coop and one outside. I have been think about getting a poultry feeder, but worry about the rain ruining the food.

4. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Me too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by