Water Placement

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by xcalibor67, Apr 30, 2017.

1. xcalibor67

xcalibor67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2017
    [​IMG]
    It seems not only am i ignorant about chickens, my forum skills are horrible..
    What are the Cons for having my water system inside the coop?

2. xcalibor67

Apr 28, 2017
    This is a second thread, as i cannot find how to delete the 1st corrupt thread i started... Anyway, Since i had access to a main cold water line under my house, i piped it out to my auto water system. My thoughts were that in the winter, the system would not freeze up. The coop does have 2 10x10 runs connected for their outdoor playing...Someone had said that chickens should NOT be fed inside, and i cant fathom why not. Yes they lay eggs in the coop, can roost in the coop if they choose, but what does it hurt for them to pop in for a drink or a nibble of food? Thanks.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Water in the coop equals more moisture in the coop, more of a breeding ground for bacteria (and respiratory problems), and chickens are more prone to frostbite if it's cold and humid, also if they get wet or the bedding gets wet it's harder to warm up. I think the size of your coop and flock, your ventilation, and weather will all factor into whether or not this will work for you. I live where it can freeze any night of the year and have decided that water in my coop is a no go due to this.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some people feed or water in the coop, some feed or water outside, some do both. There are all kinds of reasons to do one or the other or both. Mainly do what is convenient for you.

I feed and water in the coop and outside both. I’m always integrating younger chickens. Having food and water in different areas allows the younger chicks to eat and drink without challenging the adults. By having food and water in the coop I don’t have to be down there real early, they can eat and drink when they wake up without me letting them out.

Others have different reasons for the way they do it. There is no right way or wrong way, just the way you choose to do it.

5. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Yes, no right or wrong just our opinions....
    I have Always have had water in the coop
    ( large waterer on heater for winter),and a different water vessel ( shallow litter box )outside , they stand in this one which is great in the heat .

I don't have feeders outside because then the wild birds are always eatting and pooping in it... I don't intend to feed the worlds bird population just because I appreciate their beauty [​IMG]

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    This is one of those issues where you have to look at your situation, consider the options, and consider what seems sensible to you. If you have a water system that does not leak into the bedding, and if your coop is big enough, and it is well ventilated, there is absolutely no reason why you can't have water in the coop. All of the "they say" advice about water causing excess moisture, especially in the winter is IMO a bit of foolishness if the coop is large enough and well ventilated. I keep water in my coop from November through mid April. I also use a heated dog bowl during those months due to freezing. I am convinced that a single chicken is going to pump more moisture into the air through her respiration and her pooping than any waterer will release through evaporation. One of the reasons why I like to see water in the coop is a safety factor. If the pop door should get bumped closed while a hen or two are still in the coop on a hot summer day, there is less risk of them being injured due to dehydration/overheating. Also, if I don't get out to let them out early in the morning, there is less of an issue if they have water in the coop.

As for coop size and ventilation: I recommend a minimum of 4 s.f./bird floor space in the coop. My coop has: 16' of soffit vent, 2 eave vents, 3 windows, a floor level vent, and a pop door, and human door, plus 3 other doors that could be opened on a very hot day. There should be a minimum of 18" of space above the perches to allow adequate ventilation above their heads when roosting.

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I have a 4'x 5' coop with 5 hens, a 2 gallon waterer on a heated base and a 12 pound feeder in the coop. It went down below 0 F several times last winter. I don't heat the coop.[​IMG] It was as cold as 7F inside. I didn't have any frost bite issues. [​IMG] I kept 1 vent open even on the coldest days away from the roosting areas. As long as you have adequate ventilation you shouldn't have an issue. I checked my girls daily for frost bite and would've opened another vent if I noticed any. GC

8. xcalibor67

Apr 28, 2017
    Thanks Pirate & Ridge. Not going to lie, i do like the convenience of the auto waterer inside, but i might add a "TEE" and pipe drinker right outside the coop as well. I prolly will put a cutoff on the inside so that in the winter on those freezing nights i can shut off the outside part.. Does the hens spend more time inside the coop on cold winter days?. As far the moisture Pirate mention, i think the type system i have will not drip like the nipples i tried, they werent bad, but i dont like drips period. especially inside. I will clean the coop regularly to keep down poop,(Ammonia) and sprinkle a lil DE to help with mites..Would you suggest putting a small heat device for winter? Thanks.

9. xcalibor67

Apr 28, 2017
    I did forget to ask a question.....Just so happens 1 of heat pumps condensate lines runs out right beside part of my run. Do you see any reason i cant do a lil piping and have the condensate water run over into a plastic tub, inside the run? Seems the condensate is nothing but humidity from the air, which is run through PVC pipe, and should be fairly clean. Thanks. PS. Thanks to ALL that replied...I just type slow, and by the time i replied, you guys had chimed in.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  10. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

Isn't condensate water devoid of minerals and so is relatively acidic? I thought that's why you have to worry about metal pipe corrosion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by