Water question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bring, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I'm new, well can't say I'm new yet cuz my ducklings havn't shipped yet. I'm almost new and I was wondering do ducks need a water bowl to drink or will they get enough water to drink from the kiddie pool? I guess i'm wondering if they need fresh drinking water because their swimming water will get dirty.

2. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Their drinking water gets pretty dirty too!

I give mine a few strategically placed buckets of water throughout the yard in addition to their pool. When they run around foraging it helps to have water nearby rather then having to run back to the pool every few minutes. They need the water to help wash down the food.

3. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:That's a really good idea! Mine will be penned at night and when we're not home but otherwise will free-range the backyard. Would have never thought of putting a water source anywhere but the pen.

Thanks!

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I leave a sprinkler on, which they LOVE to stand in and drink from, or a hose trickling at all times. They seem to prefer the puddles of water to swim in AND drink from, rather than the kiddie pools, though they'll go in everything wet.

I think they prefer the puddles because they can do their rooting around with their beaks and make nice little golf-ball sized holes in my yard.

I dug out enough ground under all of my citrus trees and a date palm so I can make a mini-lake and have the tree irrigated at the same time. The ducks made the holes a little deeper and more defined. But all of my dirt walls that I made around the holes... wasted effort. They dug through with their beaks and crumbled the walls in no time.

5. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Mine are bathing in a roasting tray :s and sometimes drink from it but they have a dog bowl in there to just for drinking water but they stilldecide to sit and bath in it too :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by