Water question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jan 12, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    My flock of 16 has a three gallon heated waterer. It supposedly has a sensor that keeps it from heating when it isn't necessary. But, for the last four days they have emptied it each and every day!!

Why so much water?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It's good they have- some chickens don't drink enough in cold weather. If your birds are layers they will drink a lot- it's a good sign! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Check it out very carefully to make sure it is not leaking/spilling, as that is the likeliest explanation. The wetness will typically sink to the bottom of the litter and may not be obvious on the surface, but will cause humidity/mold/rot/etc problems if undetected and uncorrected.

One common problem is if the waterer is on a very slight tilt (with the opening through which the trough fills on the non-downhill side of the tilt)... it will very slowly overflow til all the water is gone. Or sometimes it is only tilted enough to overflow when jostled by chickens drinking at it. If there is any question, put it on a tray (or etc) of new dry shavings, to detect any spills, and to reduce the chance of the problem make sure that the hole is on the *lowest* side (that may sound counterintuitive, but that is the configuration that reduces tendency to overflow)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have 13 birds drinking out of a 2 gallon bucket and they have never drank more than a few inches of it per-day. Obviously they aren't going through several gallons!!

I suspect that your waterer is leaking or tipping like the pp described.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    The waterer sits on a concrete platform DH built so that it is slightly elevated and not sitting in the litter. I checked for leaks, but other than the leaking related to me turning it over I can't find any. [​IMG]

But, I will say this is an awful waterer and if DH were working I would throw it out. There is simply no way to fill it, carry it out to the coop and flip it over without getting soaked. It is by Farmer's Innovators and I would never buy one again.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Does that waterer have a rubber gasket inside? If so, you can coat it with plain vaseline to improve the seal. I know what you men about big waterers though, I gave mine to the barn cats on a heated surface. I switched to a heated dog bowl in the coop, inserting it in a large rubber stock bowl. My dog bowl holds 1.5 gallons, not sure if it is enough for your birds, I have 12 sexlinks.

7. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    If you have one of those three gallon ones with the black plug on the bottom, patand chickens is correct in asking about leakage. I had one and had to use a level on the surface of where it would sit or it would drip out. I know you said you checked it, but t's hard to detect sometimes. I switched to a heated dog water bowl because mine didn't keep the water warm enough when the outside temperature dropped to below 15 degrees.

Mary

8. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I also have one of the 3 gallon waterers that you describe. I hang mine so that it stays level. My 25 chooks empty it every day and I'm sure I have no leaks. I wonder, too, that if some of the water isn't leaving through evaporation as it it heated and the winter air is so dry.

9. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm tired of waterers getting filled up with debris and having to constantly empty them or have them not fill. I am planning on putting in those automatic red bowl waters like they use in pro ops. Mounted to the wall, above the litter. I figure with the amount of time and worry it will save me (It's hot in CA), it will be worth it. Anyone have any comments about that type of watering system?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by