water question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by amydzek, Nov 14, 2010.

1. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    do i need to put their water up on something? also do I need to put water/food in their coop overnight?
    Thanks

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    What time do you get up and let you chickens out in the morning? If they're left with nothing to eat or drink for a while then definitely they need it in the coop. Additionally food in particular is better fed inside just to keep vermin out of it--rats, mice and squirrels will be more apt to visit you if it's left outside not to mention wild birds which can spread disease to your birds. Water is ok outside unless you live where it will need have a heater to keep ice free. As far as raising it up, the higher it is the less stuff that will get kicked into it. As long as it is low enough for the chickens to get their head in it, it is fine. In the winter mine is about 5 inches off the floor because it sits on bricks which are topped with a heater.

Also see this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=410288

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I have my 30 gal waterer on a old milk crate, it helps keep the shaving and hay out of the tray when they are playing in the coop.

4. wenlo

wenlo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    I keep mine outside, except in the hottest months when they get up earlier than I do. For me its a space issue. I have a small coop and my girls are outside most of the time.

5. parisplus3

parisplus3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    Missoula Montana
    I put my little girls' water up on a couple bricks. It really helps to keep out anything that doesn't belong!! (like kicked up poo and sawdust) I also like to leave all of their food and water inside the coop, but they have a fairly small area so it's easy.[​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, and yes unless you let them out at the crack of dawn. They get up early, hungry and thirsty.

7. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I keep my feed and water in the coop. The feed in the coop helps them to go into the coop, and helps to keep the vernim out. The water in the coop also helps to keep it from freezing so quickly in the winter. In the hot summer months, I keep a couple of extra water bowls in the run, and a bucket of fresh water out in the yard when they are freeranging.

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I keep water available inside the coop all year round.
    Outside I have a little fountain statue that the hens think is the Best Thing Since Sliced Bread for drinking.
    It only holds about a cup, but they come running when I refill it.
    Inside the coop I elevate the waterbowl on a couple bricks to help keep it clean.

I leave a feeder inside the coop with pellets all day long, but remove it at night after they roost to avoid having "visitors" (rats, mice) help themselves to the buffet.
    I also keep extra feed inside the coop in a galvanized can so it can't get chewed into by the same "visitors".

My girls freerange all day but return to the coop to lay, eat & drink.

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I have my water sitting on a slice of oak in the coop. I have the feeder outside in the run on the same. When I lock them up I bring the food in.

10. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    thanks everyone! I put the water in the coop and the food too! they love it, except they are now sleeping in the food dish [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by