Water Shortages ???y

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by buc, Dec 18, 2007.

1. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Seems like everyday in the news (internet) there are stories of water shortages and not just in the big cities.

So, it got me to thinking are you like me, in that I save,collect and use a lot of rain water around the house/ranch. For me it is not so much that we are short water (private well) but, that it is all about using what God was good enough to give us.

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I would do that but the reason we are running out of water is because it DOESN'T rain, we've had a major drought this year! I have well water and I'm not running out any time soon. If the city folks want to waste their drinking water by watering their .15 acres of grass then that's all on them. [​IMG]

3. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    We recycle water. We use gray water to water our plants and gardens. The water from the washing machine waters the back trees and the water from the shower waters the front yard area. We just use mild soaps and make sure the only thing down the shower drain is the body washing water. No baby poo and such LOL

4. buc

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Quote:You bring up a great point, watering a lawn, what a waste of clean drinking water. I am with you, water grass, not a chance, watering chickens 2 times a day in cold weather you bet.

Right now we are in the middle of a slight warm up (low 40's for highs today) which means we are getting some ice and snow melt.

This is the time I transfer the melt into my bottles for the basement for later watering of the chickens and rabbits, I also move by hose water to fill the tank for the feedlot cattle and the greenhouse.

Just these 4 places will account for about 350 gallons of water that does not have to be pumped (saving wear and tear on the pump and saving on the use of electricty) out of the ground.

5. buc

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Quote:gray water use is one great way to save and recycle, keeping it out of the septic system. Our plumber suggested that we use a dry well for the dish washer and clothes washer water, we did just that, and that is where we have some of our fruit trees planted, slightly down hill from the dry well.

6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    We went to Durham shopping on Saturday and were just amazed at Falls Lake, or what used to be Falls Lake.
    We've heard how bad the drought has been and we see how dry our own yard is, but you never realize just how bad it really is until you've seen dry land where there's suppose to be a lake.
    My 12 yr old son said it looked like Africa to him!

YEA, it's that bad.

I think it was said on the news that the city of Durham has about 39 days of water left.
    Can you imagine how bad it is for a whole city to run out of water?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  7. buc

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Droughts can really raise heck with our impounded water supplies, the ground water tables drop at the same time, when the rains do come, then much of the run off goes into the impounded water area's, but the ground water tables take much longer to rise again.

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:How do you get the water from the washing machine and showers? I'm confused...again.

9. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    For the shower we just cut the pipe from the shower where it would usually connect to the septic and sealed the connection to the septic pipe. We then ran the shower pipe out to a filter and then from the filter it runs to the field. There are guide lines you have to fallow. One is that the grey water has to stay on your property no run offs. Also the water can not directly touch the plant leaves if they are plants you intend to eat, and the water can not be sprayed through a sprinkler system it has to be run out on the ground and absorbed into the ground.
    For the washer we put our washer out side on the back porch and ran a pipe from the water outlet to a longer pipe that runs the width of the back yard and has an opening under each tree that needs water. I hope that makes sense.
    Also these are Arizona regulations it may be different where you live.

Google water recycling and grey water. try to do as much as you can. It is not only good for the water shortage it can really reduce your water bill

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  10. buc

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Quote:great point you make on the waste of water on yards, that might be a changing event given the increase in water price and fuel to run the mowers

I have found that may central air conditioner pumps out about 10 gallons of clear, cool and clean water a day.

It was (years ago) plumbed to go out thru a floor drain, I now have it using a short piece of hose going into a bucket, I water some of our rabbits, most of the chickens and the two dogs with it.

DW steals some for her house plants as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by