Water shut off. They could at least give you a warning!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, our water is shut off. Thanks a ton, water workers (or whatever they're called) for giving us a warning that our water would be shut off. We do cherish our running water and use it on a regular basis throughout the day. It would be nice if you could tell our little town of 20 houses that you are going to shut the water off, instead of just turning it off without warning. [​IMG] They did this to us yesterday too. Now, I'm waiting to make something to eat until they decide to turn it back on. If I had any idea that they'd be turning it off, I would have filled the tub full of water and had my roaster full of water so that I could make our meal. *Sigh*

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:My mom had her power off for 4 days in a row at 12 hours each day. Now THAT was bad.

3. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Quote:That's ridiculous. Do these people not understand that people really do like/need their utilities? I wonder what they'd do if it was some emergency situation where someone needed a breathing machine or something...

4. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Lesson....always keep atleast a couple gallons on reserve!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:That's ridiculous. Do these people not understand that people really do like/need their utilities? I wonder what they'd do if it was some emergency situation where someone needed a breathing machine or something...

She had no notice either, but on the first day, they did tell her how long it would be. But that doesn't help cook your food when you have an electric igniter!!!!!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Being even older than Debi, [​IMG] I have some experience with these things.

I used to get really frustrated when the water or power disappeared for hours on end with no notice. Now I stay prepared- I keep anywhere from 3 to 20 gallons of water around, buying when it's on sale. Won't help you right now, but keep it in mind for the next shopping trip. Buy the jugs once- then keep them refilled from then on. Great to have when pipes freeze, too.

If the power goes out my stove burners, which have electronic ignition, can still be lit with a match. Doesn't work for the oven though. [​IMG]

Flashlights, batteries, etc are all part of our normal supplies, as well as a LOT of water every spring- we live in hurricane alley.

As I said, none of this will help you right now, but hang in there and ask if it's going to happen again tomorrow!

BTW, my Dad was on a respirator- the doctor was required to notify all utilities and emergency service about it, so it would not be impaired. They even kept him going through Hurricane Hugo!

7. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    YES!!!
    We do understand the importance of modern utilities.

I garauntee if your water was cut off with out you being notified it was either a critical failure (before you ask--- yes, they can happen two days in a row) or the water company admin staff fell down on the job. It is not the "water worker" you know the guy that swims in the mud.

In case you haven't come to the conclussion yet, yes--- yes I am a "water worker". I prefer to be called a utilities operator, my real job title is (you ready) Senior Utilities Process Technician. But water worker is all right.

I have been doing utilities work for 31 years, potable water, waste water, electricity, and natural gas. You want to feel unapreciated, walk a mile in our shoes. Long as the service is on and toilet flushes life is good, but let somebody turn on the faucet and no water comes out!! Nevermind that the water worker is in a hole in the ground waste deep in your pooh-pooh, freezing off everything the Good Lord gave him. Never mind that (for instance this weekend below freezing temps) he has worked 16 hours each day, leaving his family to fend for themselves. Hurricanes, been home for 1 in the last 31 years (had surgery so I was not able to work). Freezes-- from start to finish not one at home yet. Going on my 4th 16 hour day now.

Any how we do care about your service, it's our business. As for electrical service to a customer with a breathing machine. They are eqquiped with a UPS (uninterupted power source) fancy term for battery back up, usually capable of supplying power for 2 to 6 hours. After that a generator is required. If they notified the utility company their location is known, priority is then given to re-establishing their power.

8. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I have to agree with the others - you need to start stocking supplies. I'm in PA too and just with constant power outages and storms I always have water in the house. I have a generator if power is out really long for the the freezers or frige. Once I HAD to make a pot of coffee, so I fired it up!

A great way to store water (since those plastic gallons WILL leak after a couple of years) is to can it in mason jars. I have a bunch of canned (and sterilized) water on hand. Why store your mason jars empty when you can fill them with water? Double duty use of them.

This is a great opportunity to start making a list of things you need when a utility is unavailable. Get a bucket of snow inside to melt and you can at least flush the toilet with that....

9. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    We have stuff stocked for emergencies, just not temporary inconveniences, lol. We have the river right by the house and can purify water with our woodstove if we really need to. I'm just not about to run down there dragging back 5g buckets of ice water to purify for today. It was a planned shut-off, both days, but we were never warned. The workers are down the road a little ways and the guys talked to them today. Now, if the big town shuts off the water, they drive the truck around and announce it. Not sure why something couldn't have been set up to warn us all that we'd be without water, especially since it would probably take 10 minutes, even to just post a note on the doors.

10. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Another reason to live in the country. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by