Water Smell

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SAAVE853, Sep 14, 2010.

1. SAAVE853

SAAVE853 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    I have a 3 gal water jug that i fill about once every 3 days for my 7 hens but recently it has started to smell awful. I have cleaned the inside the last few times I've cleaned the jug with dish detergent but after 3 days its back to that horrible smell. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do with this??

2. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I have 26 birds so I am filling a 3 1/2 Gal every day. I have to wipe out the trough because it gets slimy from bird spit and what ever they scratch up into it. Left till it was empty I'm sure it would smell. If you have well water there could be marel or iron, some water even has a rotten egg (sulfer) smell to it. That's about all I have. Some others may have other ideas. These are what I've come across in my area.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My galvanized waterers smell fine, as far as I can tell.

Can you swish them out with dish soap and a brush every couple of days? I do that whenever they start to get that green algae look. I spray them out or swish the water out of the lip every day though.

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Do you have hard water? When my water softener is low on salt, the water starts to smell bad.

5. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    [​IMG]I had the same problem and fixed it with help from BYC members. I put one teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar per gallon of water and no more stinky waterer !
    Quote:

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Try changing the water daily.

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Adding apple cider vinegar to the water at the ratio suggested should help keep down the slime, and hopefully the odor. It's a healthy thing to add, and my own birds like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by