Water spills

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 8egglayers, Jan 5, 2014.

1. 8egglayers

8egglayers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    So we bought a heated waterer for our chickens....it's just a standard plastic one. It's hanging from the ceiling of the chicken coop. The problem is, that when the chickens bump it it ALWAYS spills all over the floor it is a huge problem b/c then it freezes. I'm afraid the dampness will also effect the chickens health.
    Any suggestions on improving our water system? Is there anything I can do?
    Thank you!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Don’t hang it. Set it on something flat and support it so they can’t knock it over. Here are some ideas.

This is in my brooder. I fashioned wires to fit around it and hung them from the top so they can’t know it over. I put in screws around the base so they can’t knock it around.

[​IMG]

Here I took a sheet of plywood and cut a hole so the waterer can fit in. Then I raised it a bit so the waterer can fit down inside it. They can’t knock it over. They can stand on the edge and poop in it though. You can’t see it but I hung a pyramid-shaped piece of plywood over it so they can’t perch on it. A milk jug filled with sand or dirt would work just as well.

[​IMG]

If you raise it above the floor or ground, they are not as likely to scratch trash in it.

3. Melinda48

Melinda48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    Get an covered bucket-build a stand and get some chicken nipples!We use an immersion heater in our buckets works well. The nipples did freeze when it hit -10 but then we just gave them water in a bowl till the nipples thawed.

4. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    I bought a heated waterer too and had the same problems. The first time I filled it, the bottom fell off it when I turned it over to hang it up, drenching my feet and legs. I refilled it a second time and even being more careful, it happened a second time. I took it back and bought a large Rubbermaid feed pan. Now I just empty it at night and refill it in the morning. If I forget to empty it and it freezes, I just turn it over and stomp on it and the ice comes right out. I just ordered and received 25 poultry nipples so I can make some of the bucket waterers.

5. Melinda48

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    You won't be sorry. Do watch the temp however. If it gets really cold, supplement with pans of water. Our chicken nipples froze when the temp dipped below-10. We just put out pans and changed them regularly for a couple of days. No problems!

6. chiknhurder

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    How often is regularly for you, Melinda? Is it really necessary to change them out daily? I have a 2 gallon pan that my 5 pullets are drinking from. Do they need it changed daily?

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I always clean and change out my waters DAILY. Certain alage is deadly to chickens and I'm always cautious of that. I notice even in a day when I clean it out its starting to get a skum on it. Fresh water is very important for them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  8. chiknhurder

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    I've been changing water daily but I think back to my grandma that had metal tubs sunk in the ground and they never got changed and her chickens were never sick that I can remember. It didn't really get changed. It just got topped off as needed.

9. Melinda48

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    We changed the water once a day for three hole ayes.mIt was no big deal. Normally, we fill the container about 2/3full and replace water when it gets down to about 1/4. The immersive heater isnanGod-send!

10. Melinda48

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    We only had to change them out for 2-3 days - not a burden really. The orange bucket in the stand works perfectly 99% of the time. The electrical cord is for the immersion heater.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by