WATER SUPPLY?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KiwiChook, Aug 26, 2007.

1. KiwiChook

KiwiChook Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    What's the best way to build your own water supply? Anyone have pictures? or can you link me to a thread if there is one on this topic already? I don't really want to hook the hose up permanently to it, but large enough hold/store a weeks worth of water would be ideal.

Any help/ideas much appreciated. thanks [​IMG]

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    These Little Giant waterers are automatic. When the water level goes down a spring lifts the bowl and turns on the valve until the bowl is heavy enough to compress the spring and turn it off again.

I have this hooked to hose but they can be gravity fed from a bucket or barrel.

[​IMG]

3. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Are you talking about providing water supply to a automatic watering system?

If so, I'd just run it like an irrigation system. Could you explain in greater detail what you have and what you are trying to do?

4. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Mac, you and I need to get together for a beer. We both seem to think very much alike on this stuff. I read the OP and posted a reply, and there ya were!

5. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Try looking in the How-To section. (not here in the forum) I think I'd try the one from Utah if I was making my own. The important thing is for the bucket/container to have a lid that seals to keep the water in. (5 gallon=20 litres, just in case that's helpful.

6. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    How about collecting rain water? It's not hard to do.

We also collect water from the dehumidifier during the summer months and use it during the winter months. It's nice and clean.

Both methods get you soft water which is better than using hard well water, or softened well water.

spot

7. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Rain?? What's Rain?!?!? [​IMG]

8. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    In my part of Texas we got a year's worth in the month of July. Sorry we don't know how to share it better. [​IMG]

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Spottedtail how do you collect rain water?

I am trying to figure out how to collect it and some how funnel it write in the coop!

anyone do this

10. KiwiChook

KiwiChook Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    [​IMG]

This is my new architecturally designed coop. [​IMG] Just want to be able to go away for up to 4-5 days and know my girls will have plenty of clean water. Rain water is a great idea but maybe not reliable enough. The pet shop can sell me a device for $70 that would suit my needs.:eek:
    I'm playing around with a few ideas, will post a photo if i can build something that works. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by