Water Tanks Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robbo, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Robbo

Robbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    So I posted earlier about being excited and researching for months for this day. I have a broody hen who I am letting sit and I also have an incubator for back up that I am placing a few of the eggs in along with my broody hen. Well on a side note I am scared none of the eggs will be worth it now. They were collected Monday early morning shipped Monday but are delayed somewhere on some plane/truck because of the nasty snow storms. I hope they show up tomorrow.

Anyway my question... I am letting my incubator test one more time and I had a question about the water tanks. I have just a very small incubator. The water sells are a circle within a circle. So a small overall surface and a larger surface. When we are in incubation mode (days 1-18) should I just be filling the small one and then to up the humidity fill the larger surface area one and the smaller? I am getting my humidity gauge tomorrow so am unsure how just the small one being filled is working right now.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You really won't know the answer to that question until you get a hygrometer in there to see what reading you get. Generally most people that aren't doing the dry incubation method shoot for an average between 40-55%. Once you get that in there you'll have a better idea of how much water you are going to need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by