Water Temp Washing for Wet Feather

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
I have a duck who had a near drowning about a week ago - she got stuck in a tub with the water level too low for her to get out (I feel TERRIBLE about this) and she became quite water logged. Now her feathers are falling out like crazy and she looks bedraggled and she she isn't repelling water.

I've been reading about what to do and plan to wash her with mild dish soap and I'm wondering if there is a preferred water temperature? It's very cold out and I'm inclined to wash her in warm water, but aware that that's not what ducks usually find themselves in so just wanted to double check.

Wet feather is caused by a clogged oil gland. So, all you really need is to wash the oil gland not the whole duck. Just get some dawn dish soap, a cloth, and some warm water and clean the oil gland. She needs to be kept out of water until its rectified so that she doesn't get chilled.

Sounds like she is in molt? once she grows in her new feathers she will be waterproof again. When my Muscovy had a blocked oil gland I used warm water and just held it on the gland and gently massaged it.

Have you checked out her preen gland?

My duck had wet feather and I took her to the vet. The doctor checked out her preen gland and told me it was healthy, and in working order. They did x-rays and found that she had arthritis in her feet and determined that she wasn't preening well because it was painful and that was the cause.

Of course, your duck is probably different! But maybe check out the preen gland first. If it feels oily to you, if you run your fingers together and they feel slippery after touching it maybe it is ok? I think you can make the situation worse if you use soap when it is not needed.

My vet did recommend that I give my duck regular slightly warm baths, to encourage preening, and keep her inside the house so she would be warm and dry. I used water a little warmer than room temp.

Wet feather is caused by a clogged oil gland. So, all you really need is to wash the oil gland not the whole duck. Just get some dawn dish soap, a cloth, and some warm water and clean the oil gland. She needs to be kept out of water until its rectified so that she doesn't get chilled.
Really? Everything I have read about wet feather says to wash the whole duck, dry her off, then don't let them in water for a few days - then let her have a swim in clean water every couple of days. At this point I start encountering variety as some say to dry her off after her swim and some don't.

Sounds like she is in molt? once she grows in her new feathers she will be waterproof again. When my Muscovy had a blocked oil gland I used warm water and just held it on the gland and gently massaged it.
I don't think it's a molt unless molt can be triggered by trauma? There was very clearly an event that water logged her and led to all of this.

Have you checked out her preen gland?

My duck had wet feather and I took her to the vet. The doctor checked out her preen gland and told me it was healthy, and in working order. They did x-rays and found that she had arthritis in her feet and determined that she wasn't preening well because it was painful and that was the cause.

Of course, your duck is probably different! But maybe check out the preen gland first. If it feels oily to you, if you run your fingers together and they feel slippery after touching it maybe it is ok? I think you can make the situation worse if you use soap when it is not needed.

My vet did recommend that I give my duck regular slightly warm baths, to encourage preening, and keep her inside the house so she would be warm and dry. I used water a little warmer than room temp.
Are you thinking that the near drowning could have clogged her oil gland? Because again, this was the result of a singular event that is very clearly the reason she is in the state she is in now.

Are you thinking that the near drowning could have clogged her oil gland? Because again, this was the result of a singular event that is very clearly the reason she is in the state she is in now.
No, I was thinking more if she wasn't waterproofed she would have gotten waterlogged and that could have caused the incident. Often the automatic assumption is that ducks have wet feather because of an issue with their preen gland, and that can happen, but that hasn't been my experience. So I thought you might want to check it out.

My ducks do start "molting" in periods of stress, like when I take them to the vet. Not a true seasonal molt, but they drop feathers like crazy in ways they don't at home.

Also, it seems to me that the traditional wet feather treatment, the soap bath, keep them dry, then let them swim every few days, is only for birds who have been exposed to oil spills. I could be wrong.

Oh, I see. The water level was too low. Sorry about that. Then, I think as long as her preen gland is healthy she should recover. Personally, I would keep her warm and not use soap because you'll wash away any oil she has on her. Of course, you should do what you think is best.

But, to answer your actual question, I would use slightly warm water, because that's what my vet told me to use for my duck with wet feather.

Oh, I see. The water level was too low. Sorry about that. Then, I think as long as her preen gland is healthy she should recover. Personally, I would keep her warm and not use soap because you'll wash away any oil she has on her. Of course, you should do what you think is best.

But, to answer your actual question, I would use slightly warm water, because that's what my vet told me to use for my duck with wet feather.
Thank you! That's just the information I was looking for - all the sites say wash them, but don't mention temperature. Okay, tomorrow she gets washed - I just have a feeling that it is the right thing to do, but I'll suss out whether or not to use soap when we get to it.

Back
Top Bottom