1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

water thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thomas4033, Jun 3, 2011.

1. thomas4033

thomas4033 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    hi me again another question
    i am using a water thermostat it swings between 98.8 and 101.5 is that to much .

2. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    That sounds good to me. A very small swing for that type of thermostat. Should be perfect.

3. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    WOW I wish I had your thermostat!!!! My water therm swings between 97 and 104.... But I did a wiggle test, and they are estimated at 100 F internal temp.. Hope your hatch goes well1!!! ^_^

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
  5. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:I am afraid to do anything atm.. Too close for some of the eggies!!! I just stuck my head in the incubator and held my breath so I could be as still as could be.. Didn't see any movement, but I swear I heard a small peep peep peep faintly.... Tv was up loud so I can't be sure...

6. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:I am afraid to do anything atm.. Too close for some of the eggies!!! I just stuck my head in the incubator and held my breath so I could be as still as could be.. Didn't see any movement, but I swear I heard a small peep peep peep faintly.... Tv was up loud so I can't be sure...

if you have eggs in it, then i would leave the thermostat alone, so just wait till the eggs hatch, to do anything, but you will need to remember this, it will change your incubator for the better if you do this trust me i did it and my incubator is staying at an awesome temperature now

7. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    As soon as I get a break from her laying, I will have to do that. So put it near the light?

8. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    definitely!!!!!

9. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:OK maybe I'm too tired but am confused as to what to do with the thermostat!! could you re-explain that to me please!! I did look at the post, do i put a pen tube in it or just cut holes and where??
    Ayda

10. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    you need to take it apart, and drill holes where the tooth picks are pointing, to take apart the thermostat, you will find two metal rivets holding it in place, you will have to get a small drill bit and drill through these metal rivets, and then you can take the thermostat apart, being sure not to touch the copper colored plate, that is attached to the metal backing of the thermostat, and then drill holes, in the same places the toothpicks are located at when you look at the info on how to make the thermostat better

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by