1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water tight outside nest lid

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by traildad, Oct 24, 2011.

1. traildad

traildad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Deleted

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    I've seen some people use a shingle over the hing area to cover it, by running it up the wall a bit. I suppose any type rubber would really work.

3. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Use some kind of flexible rubber - shingles or rolled roofing will break over time - we're having to re-do ours!

4. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Quote:Oh, good point. The cold probably makes them pretty stiff too? If you have a diesel shop around, you might be able to scrounge up a truck mudflap to use.

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I used a good quality weather stripping between the side of the coop and the ¾" edge of the nest box roof (under the hinges) where as when the lid is closed, it mashes the weather stripping between the two creating the seal. No leaks.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't use a hinge in the roof. Instead, just built it differently and hinge doors onto the face of your nest box. Here's mine-- still not completely done, but getting there. I thought about having the roof lift and figured it would just be a nightmare to keep it water tight. I also worried that even if I got it to work NOW.. what about in 5 years? Will it still work just as well? So I kept looking at everyone else's boxes and decided on the design below. I made the doors to seat INSIDE the frame.. that will help keep weather and rain out. You could also add a bit of weather stripping around the door if you really wanted to. (btw, I have a step by step picture explanation on how I built my box on my BYC page if you do want to build it this way)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Like hawkeye said, just build them with doors instead of hinged roof. I have one coop with the roof hinged and second one I built I went with doors. Here is pictures of both.
    This nest boxes on large coop with hinged roof. Overhang of coop roof above the boxes is 24" so I really don't get any water in them. However I still pklan on putting a rubber strip across the slot just in case.
    Erik

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Here is second coop with doors that open downward and supported by chains when open.

[​IMG]

8. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
  9. traildad

traildad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Deleted

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  10. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps