1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water to cold?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jay262, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I let my 4 indian runner ducks outside today in new coop i had built it has a ditch at the end of the yard allowing them to swim. This was there first time in the water and after 10 mins they all came back out shivering. The biggest drake i had to take inside even he couldnt stand up after being in the water. I live in northeastern canada i know the nights are cold with frost now but i didnt think the water was that cold i had malard ducks in the past who had no issue with the water this time of the year. It was a average today prob about 12 to 15 celius by no means cold at the time. Should i keep them inside till spring or should i give them another go tommorow?

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    sounds like they got water logged to me. Have they ever been on water? Are the house or brooder kept young birds? If so, then they havent preened enough and oiled their feathers up to prevent them from getting soaked. If they are fully oiled and watertight, there is no such thing as too cold of water for ducks. even if it's an ice flow cause they are insulated and the water should never touch the skin.

If the feathers got wet, that's your problem, then it's just like it would be if it were you in the water. To fix this, they really need to be outside and given trips to the water daily to preen and clean. Whne doing this they oil up the feathers and condition them. Only do short trips for now til they get to where they are water proofed, once that happens they are good to go as long as you keep putting them in water. The exposure to the water triggers their instinct to oil up. Being kept dry, they will get what is called dry feather, where they are not water proofed and essentially no different than a chicken.

Hope that made sence.

3. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    That was it exactly these birds looked like water logged chickens after being in the water for only 10 mins. I just got them a couple weeks ago there about 15 weeks old dont think they had ever been in the water to swim before. They quite enjoyed it at the start. So i should let them out everyday still for short swims? Putting them back inside right after? If they get cold like the drake the last time couldnt even stand up should i bring them inside to the warm till they come around? This is my first experince with ducks not used to water all the ones i ever had were introduced to it by there mother as ducklings.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    though it was. Yes that is very common on dry brooded ducks who havent had access to water. Yes a quick dip every day or two will do the trick. Just a couple minutes max, once you see them starting to get wet just a little , go ahead and get them out, dont let them get as far gone as the drake was. In a week or so, they will be conditioned. Each day you should see them taking longer and longer to get wet. Once they repel water, you are good to leave them then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by