1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

water weasel exploded update-2 piped-no 4 hatched- update/pictures

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redneck, May 29, 2008.

1. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    It was day 18 yesterday and I stopped turning my eggs. I placed them into a egg carton and shut the door. Came back about thirty minutes later to check my humidity and noticed that it was up around 90%. I opened up the bator and was about to cover the bowl of water a little and noticed that the eggs were yellow. It was the liquid from the water weasel. The eggs were covered for how long I don't know, it was thirty minutes or less. Any guesses if they are still viable? I guess wait and see............

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't know but, as long as your this far I would leave them in and give them a chance.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    what's a water weasel????

4. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I was thinking the same thing!!

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

The water weasel, water snake, whatever you wanna call it is one of those water filled tube toys you get at Wal-mart or the dollar store that turns into itself, thus slipping out of your hands.
    Used in an incubator with a thermometer to see what the internal temp of the eggs is.

Did you use one you have used prior? I noticed mine was thin feeling after my first hatch, so I let the kids have it. It sprang a leak eventually and we threw it away... but I think they should probably be replaced between hatches.. IMHO [​IMG]

I hope your eggs are ok. I would think it's only water in it. [​IMG] Hopefully they will be good [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  6. Nupine

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Oh, weird.[​IMG]

7. Nupine

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Oh, weird.[​IMG]

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    At Day 18, I would worry to much about it! Is it an oily substance or water based?

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think it's just water..... maybe it picked up some coloring from the little "decorations" they put inside them?? When ours got a leak, felt, looked and smelled like water.

10. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmmm....
    Maybe I shouldn't be in such a hurry to get rid of the dozen that I ended up buying when I couldn't find one locally????

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by