Water - Well vs. City tap

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dora, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dora

Dora Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    I have well water that is very hard with high iron. It is pretty nasty directly from the well. I've been hauling city tap water for the chickens (and my dog), but this is a pain.

The softened well water will kill my plants, so I'm reluctant to use it for the chickens. Which option is best for the chickens: direct from the well, softened, or city tap?

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I was raised on well water that was chock-full of all sorts of minerals, so I always vote for that. City water gags me! Eee - the chlorine!

Unless the chickens refuse to drink the well water, I think it is fine to give them that.

You could also invest in a rain barrel and get their water from that. Then it's free!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Rain water is the best. I dabbled in hydroponics where getting the right balance of minerals is a must. The rain water was far more pure than city or well- so your birds must get their minerals elsewhere. Just be aware that mosquito larvae take 10 days to mature in still water.

I am curious if you drink your own well water. If so, you should probably have it tested. We don't. We live too close to a septic dump field for me to be comfortable drinking it. Your well can become poluted by things beyond your control.

4. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    we use well water and use it softened. I don't understand why softened water would kill your plants. I think,your water softener is defective if the water has dissolved salt (NaCl) in it or may need some serious servicing. We use a complete water treatment system that includes a pre-filter the well (500ft deep),water softener,chlorine system then activated charcoal. Only distilled water is cleaner than ours.

All y'all take care!

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We don't use softened water for plants, animals, birds or aquariums due to the sodium content. Water softeners exchange the calcium and magnesium in the water for a sodium ion. Some softeners use potassium, instead.

I like the taste of our natural water and hate the taste of the softened water. We get our water tested for an assortment of things every few years, just to be on the safe side.

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    We got well water but use it for the animals, plants, and our showers. If we want to drink wter we get bottled water or get those huge jugs for the water cooler

7. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I love my well water. It's the best water I've ever had. YUMMMMMMMYYYYYYY!!!

8. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    We have well water. Used to be very clean. Now I have my doubts.
    There are artesian springs all around us (several in the nextdoor woodlands and across the street). Last summer the commercial spring across the street had to stop selling in Rochester as they found bromide in their water. How the heck do you test for bromide? They are back to selling water again but now I am trying to keep tabs on when their trucks stop running.
    Anyway, we added a sediment tank, 2 filters and UV to our system. Still don't know how to test for bromide. But, at least we have the major problems covered.... Guess you never know what leaches into the groundwater.
    --bjcoop

9. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:Me too! Our well water is sweet! I mean it tastes SWEET! It's nice.

Whenever I go to town I forget they have city tap and I order water. Then, I get my water and it's all filmy and cruddy *looking*.

I never drink it! :mad:

Still..I forget and every time, I order the water. They must think I am loony! [​IMG]

Habits! What can I say? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  10. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    I'm on well water and wouldn't have it any other way. Our well is a bit heavy on the iron (punny!) so we run it through a filter before we drink. No big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by