water wiggler how does it work

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bumblebeehillschickenfarm, May 9, 2008.

1. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    i made my own bator and i read here that you use a water wiggler to get the timps.right. i could not find one so i made one out of two plastic bags with water in it. i had everything running right on 99.5 stable for 31 min. without light even comming on.i put my eggs in 4 dozen and started, made one adjustment and was good to go i hand turned the eggs 3 times a day . today i pulled out the acu-rite cord in my water wiggler by mistake and a little later i seen that the temp.was 106 did i just fry my eggs. or is this the temps outside without the water wiggler i am sick i had some high dollar eggs in there did i just fry my eggs. please help

2. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    can anyone help

3. chickenfeed

chickenfeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    North Central Iowa
    Water wiggler simulates the temp inside the eggs.
    If the cord was outside of your water wiggler then it was showing temp of incubator.

4. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    what temp is more important the inside temps on the outside or both if both how can you keep them the same i am so confused an upset right now

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  5. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    I am just as confused as you on this issue......my air temperature inside my bator goes as high as 103.5, but I don't have a water wiggler at this time.

Can someone clarify this please.

6. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    I had the same problem, most literature relates to air temp in the incubator, I have an egg hollowed out and filled with water with a water temp probe and it's consistantly 3 degree's cooler than air temp, out side of the water it shows the same 99.5 as the air temperature probe. I do not have a water wiggler but it would be interesting to see if that showed any difference to my water filled egg shell. I would concentrate on the air temperatures as they are the most reactive in the incubator and will show signs of change much sooner than the waterwiggler will. However I have hatched 0 eggs so I would wait for conformation of this first.

7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:The temperature inside the water wiggler- whether bought or home made- is the most accurate, as it is simulating the temperature inside the egg where the chicks are. AIr temperature fluctuates much more than the temp inside the wiggler/egg. If you keep the inside temp (the temp inside the wiggler at or very near 99.5, you will see your air temp change and wont have as much worry.

8. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    thanks for your reply so maybe my eggs should be fine i was realy worried

9. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:The temperature inside the water wiggler- whether bought or home made- is the most accurate, as it is simulating the temperature inside the egg where the chicks are. AIr temperature fluctuates much more than the temp inside the wiggler/egg. If you keep the inside temp (the temp inside the wiggler at or very near 99.5, you will see your air temp change and wont have as much worry.

I have been tweaking my bator for 3 days now and finally the water wiggler temp is great. I also put a sealed bottle of water in there to help keep the temperature consistent....I think they call it a heat sink....Works really well...
    Still waiting for those eggs....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by