1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water Wiggler Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hokankai, Feb 23, 2013.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Hello, I have several thermometers in my incubator currently and of them is inside of a water wiggler. The thermometer reading air temperature on the floor of the incubator is reading about 100 degrees, but the water wiggler is reading 98.6 and it is level with the eggs. It WAS reading exactly 99.5 when I had all 48 eggs in there, but I removed 34 infertile/shipping fails and it has been reading cooler ever since.

Should I just not worry about the water wiggler since everything else is reading 100+/-.5? What would make it read cooler now? Or should I bump up the temp to get the water wiggler reading 99.5 again?

Here's my setup

[​IMG]

2. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    We'll find out tomorrow if the water wiggler is accurate or not. LOL, yes I'm a little obsessive. Decided to put one of my infertile eggs to good use afterall! I'll be taking it out tomorrow :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Well that didn't work, it read 123 degrees this morning...yeah right. I wonder if the thermometer doesn't do so well submerged in goop. LOL Or if the fact that there's a gaping hole in the top is the problem.

Ah well, back to the water wiggler :p

5. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I think something was up with the probe, because even when I put it back in the water wiggler it read 117 degrees. I fixed it though because it's reading 99.3 now :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by