1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water Wiggler Substitute?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adrian, Mar 9, 2012.

1. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I thought I'd like to try my hand at using one of these as many people suggest them... but realised they don't sell them in Canada at all! I was wondering whether anyone knows of a substitute to create the same effect, perhaps something homemade? Thanks. [​IMG]

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I've never found one either. I don't know where to find it but a few years ago on here someone used hair gel (?) sealed in a plastic egg. I think a wick or thermometer was inserted?

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and can help you. I just don't remember the details.

3. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I feel like I've heard of that before, but it baffles me a little how one would insert a probe in a plastic egg filled with hair gel? Do they drill/cut a hole? And wouldn't that be rather messy? It's a shame these little things are so difficult to find, they're very inexpensive and simple, but it seems hard to replicate them all the same. Thank you for your help, I'll see if anyone knows more about this method. [​IMG]

4. WinklerFarms

WinklerFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota

Yes all you do is drill a small hole for the probe to fit through, and no it doesn't get messy as long as you are careful. Find the thickest hair gel you can, fill both halves of the egg (here I normally put glue on both halves so there is no chance of the egg coming apart and making a huge mess) and then snap together. Then either drill or heat up a nail and melt a hole into the egg just barely big enough for the temp probe.

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I glued the plastic egg together and drilled a hole big enough for the probe to fit and filled it with with gel using a oral medicine syringe. It works great.

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    You can also buy the water wigglers on ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by