Water wiggler temp question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, Apr 30, 2009.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Ok, so I got a water wiggler and a probe thermometer in trying to stabilize my homemade bator temps.

Now, from what I've read, the water wiggler reading should be the same or lower than the air temp.

But mines not. My air temp is reading only 98.8 but my water wiggler temp says 102.9

What's up with that??? Any ideas?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    hmm dont know I can never find one, I have heard people talking the oppiset there bator saying 101-102 and the watter wiggler saying 99 but not the other way around , I am shure soemone will know good luck

3. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bad Thermometer, water wiggler sensor, or both!

4. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
    Is thermometer at the same height/location? Could make a big difference sometimes, depending on bator type used(homemade/bought/styles/etc...)

5. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    It is a homemade cabinet, and no, there not at the same height, but that makes even less sense (to me at least) as I thought heat rose, and the actual air temp is higher than the wiggler. The wiggler is lying on a wooden shelf...wondering if the wood is holding more heat?

So, do you think the actual air temp would be more accurite than the wiggler temp?

6. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
    I'd check with another thermometer to make sure which is reading wrong. If it matches your other one, go with it(drop the wiggler), but if it coincides with the wiggler, use that and the new thermo!

7. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    My guess would be that one of your thermometers are off.
    By the way did you make your water wiggler or buy one and if you bought one where did you get it?

8. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Use a regular medical thermometor and put it in the water wiggler. Then wait an hour or so before you check it. The medical thermometers are accurite.

9. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I bought my wiggler from Dollar Tree store.

Going to add a third thermometer.

10. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

you know out side on the thermometer is the inside of the egg. on the digital ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by