Water Wiggler Temp?

mikecoscia

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
North Haledon, NJ
Just put my wiggler into my new Eco 20. Temp in the bater is 37.7c, and inside the wiggler its 36.5c. Using a cheap walmart digital thermometer for the bater and the brinsea spot check thermometer for the wiggler. Should I raise the bater temp higher so the internal temp of the wiggler is 37.5c?

Last edited:
I have this problem too. My water wiggler stays between 98.5 and 100 (once it reached 101) but the air temp fluctuates between 99 and 102, and yesterday it was reaching 103 when it got really hot outside unexpectedly and our house heated up, yet the water wiggler was still around 100.

Someone on here told me to watch the wiggler over the air temps, I hope that's right!

Unless your taking temp from pressurized water it will ALWAYS register lower than the air temp. Water expands(though very little) as it becomes warmer, this is heat to energy conversion. You will usually lose 1 to 2 degrees using a water wiggler or any other device using water. If the water is in a container and open to evaporation it will lose even more temp.

I use sand in a plastic Easter egg for taking my temps, the sand is a solid and it will absorb the heat for a stable temp, though it may rise or fall 1 degree depending on the type of thermostat you are using. For a more stable temp you can use a larger container(pill bottle) with the sand.

The water wiggler is fine to use as long as you take into account the temp loss due to expansion. If your temp stays stable use a oral medical thermometer(very accurate), to calibrate. But remember that the thermometer only measures the top temp as it will not read lower until it is shaken back down. This is good too as it will not drop when you remove it to read it. When using it make sure to use it at a location which would be the middle of an egg. Or you can put a egg sized pill bottle of sand, let it stabilize, and then measure the temp with the medical thermometer.

Quote:
So since I am registering 36.5 are you saying my temps are fine and I should just leave the bator alone, as the water wiggler registers a degree lower?

Quote:
What a great idea, just don't drop the egg, those bbs can make ya fall on your backside.
wink.png

Quote:
So since I am registering 36.5 are you saying my temps are fine and I should just leave the bator alone, as the water wiggler registers a degree lower?

Yes, I would. I started with a water wiggler and had low hatch rates until I checked it with a oral thermometer and then the physics of it hit me and I realized why. The water wiggler though will be close to the actual temp in the eggs in early development, as they are subject to the same forces. After the chick develops mass I believe they generate some of their own heat.

Back
Top Bottom