Water Wiggler

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicks for better health, Jan 14, 2009.

1. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I am finalizing my incubator design, and have a couple questions. What is the purpose of the water wiggler?

Thanks

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    It is to act as if it were the egg, you put the probe in it to give you the reading[temp] as if it were the heat inside of the egg. I hope I said that right.............

3. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    how do you keep it from leaking once you push the probe in?

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You don't pierce the wiggler. They way they are built, the middle is hollow.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    The water wiggler is a tube. The probe slides right in.

6. RoseHawke

RoseHawke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    Central Alabama
    Has anyone ever compared the way a water wiggler heats and cools compared to an actual egg? I ask because browsing photos of them it looks as if it's quite a bit larger than the average hen egg with more mass which would cause it to register temperature fluctuations at a much different rate than the eggs.

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I took a store bought egg and blew it out. I then sealed one end with hot glue and filled the egg with hair gel. I inserted my probe and again used hot glue to seal up the egg and probe. It does quite well as a "water wiggler" and tells me exactly what the temp is inside that egg.

8. RoseHawke

RoseHawke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    Central Alabama
    Quote:That sounds like it would be more accurate. Any divergence that might occur between the two temperatures due to the different density of the gel as opposed to the white and yolk of an actual egg I should think wouldn't be all that much and probably wouldn't make much difference in the scheme of things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by