Water Wiggler????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by josh, Mar 29, 2008.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I have looked at wal mart bought the last one the other day and the kids broke it. No more there. None at the dollar store,dollar tree, or big lots. Don't know where else to look. Is there some where on line to buy them? Not ebay they are to high there.

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    I just had to keep trying [​IMG]

You might look at fleamarkets. Many have small traders selling cheap toys.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I've found them at some of the drug store chains before, might be worth a try.

4. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    No one around here carrys them either. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  5. Hi Josh!
    You might try just measuring air temp at egg height.

-99.5 at egg height for an incubator with a fan
    -101.5 at egg height for an incubator without a fan

If the air temp at egg height is right, the internal egg temp will be right too.

Good luck,
    Lisa

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:lol .... that is the tricky bit.

Unless the incubator has proportional control heating, the air temp will almost always be higher or lower than the egg temp .... that is why we use water wigglers [​IMG]

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I can't find them here, either, so I just took a ziploc sandwich bag, half-filled it with water and sealed it after getting all the air out. Put it inside another bag (just in case it leaks, because it will), and fold it in half, taping it together. Then just put your probe between the folds of the baggie. I used a small yogurt container to hold it all, just in case it broke, and it worked like a charm. [​IMG]
    Good luck!

8. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Uuuhhhhhh, what's a water wiggler ? [​IMG]

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
  10. Hi Twig,
    I don't understand what "proportional control heating" means (no explanation necessary. You could explain it, but it's like I tell Hubby when he's explaining his design stuff '"Thanks, but I don't want to hear the details).

I just know that measuring air temps at egg height grows and hatches chicks.
    It is unnecessary to *know the internal egg temp* IF air temps at egg height are right.
    I remember when the 'water weasel/ wiggler' came into being as an incubator *must have*.
    I say the same thing now as I did then --- if you have room in your bator and want to know *just because*, just don't use the 'that reading' as your only measure of temperature.
    Good luck,
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by