Water Wigglers are no where to be found!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alicefelldown, Jan 19, 2010.

1. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I'm going out of my mind, I've been to all the local (and not so local) walmarts, targets, party supply stores, dollar stores, drug stores, toy stores, and discount toy stores over a few weeks now.

NO ONE CARIES WATER WIGGLERS UNTIL SUMMER BECAUSE THEY ARE A "SUMMER TOY"!!!!

Totally bogus. I'm going to have to resort to ordering a big 'ole box online, at least 12, maybe 24.

Do you think it would even be worth it at that point? I'd be hoping to sell the extras at cost + cheap shipping to others on BYC who are having the same troubles I am in locating these darn things.

The current bane of my existence: [​IMG]

2. ZooNana

ZooNana Chillin' With My Peeps

Our Michaels Craft store has them up in the bins near the checkout lanes all the time.

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Oops! Left that off the list. Already checked 2 of them.

4. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    There's a thread on here on making your own. Zip-loc bags, water and rubber bands

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I took a pill bottle and filled it with hair gel. The probe fit inside and I was able to close the lid. It worked fine [​IMG]

6. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Yeah--I use a zip lock bag with water in it, wrap it around the spindle of the thermometer, rubber band it in place, and put it inside another zip lock bag.

It seems to work ok.[​IMG]

Catherine

7. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe that mypetchicken.com carries them year round

8. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    I'm a big dummy! What do you use these for?

9. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    i will be making a trip to the craft store if they are there. we looked at our local walmart and couldn't find them either. I figured they must be seasonal. thanks for the tip!

10. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    LizzyJo-just had to say -love your avatar! I think they are used in homemade incubators but where and why? IDK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by