1. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Anyone evr built a homemdade automatic waterer?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Sure. (Unless you are talking about high-tech automatic with bells and whistles. [​IMG])

When I had 35 broilers not all that long ago, they outgrew their little 6 quart waterer.

I used a 2.5 gallon square plastic bucket. It was one of those you can get at the bakery - it once had chocolate frosting or something in it. About 2 inches from the top, I drilled 4 or 6 1/4" holes around the bucket. Next, the bucket was filled with water to these holes.

Then, I took a square plastic basin, probably from the dollar store, and sat it upside down on top the bucket. Flipped the bucket and basin, sat it on a concrete block and voilĂ ! That was my automatic waterer.

I don't like to use a large waterer. In fact, there was a time when I wouldn't use a vacuum type waterer at all for just a few birds. It seemed like they always had putrid smelling water in them. I get around that problem by not having one that is too large and replacing the water twice a day.

Steve
    edited to say: I guess they are called vacuum waterers.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  3. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    I men the one with a bucket a hose and a dish that fills itself up

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    there was someone on here who did that with the water being held in an ice chest like you take camping and a hose going into an automatic bump like waterer. I just cant remember who it was...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by