1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Possum Manor West, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Possum Manor West

Possum Manor West Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Leicester, NC
    I cannot keep the water clean...well, they babies cannot keep it clean that is. I usually hang my water so the big chickens can get to it, but they cannot flick all sorts of ick in it. I have to have it on the ground for the babies, who are only four days old and the cutest silkies to ever be hatched. Buff head...black body.

Anyway, has anyone solved this issue? Do they sell those dropper bottles used for hamsters large enough for chickens? And would they even use them

Thanks ahead.

Kathie

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Try those hanging waterers. I have two and I offer them regular water too but the hanging avian waterers are always cleaner.
    Caroline

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Nipple waterers are the only way to go. Do a search on this forum and you will find hundreds upon hundreds of
    questions and answers about them.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yep, nipples. I'm using them with my chicks.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I am raising 16 new chicks, one a silkie, so I adjust for her...I hang the feeder and place a thick slab of wood, she knows that is her step stool...also the water, the same, if it get's ick in it, I just do a dump and rotate and clean out the ick...I have not used the nipples, I prefer to let my chicks get a full beak of cold water, to truly get the experience...to each his own, what ever works for you!

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:What is it with the nipple hate? Do you know they don't peck and get a drip, peck and get a drip, peck and get a drip unless they're mostly playing? When they're really thirsty, they hold the nipple to the side and the water flows into their beak and down their throat. I'm pretty sure it's actually quicker to get water with a proper-height nipple than scooping from a pool and tipping the head back for each sip.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I used a gallon waterer with the classic red bottom for my 20 brooder raised chicks. I raised it up with a gallon sized ice cream bucket and stuck a piece if wood in front for a "step stool". The water stayed nice and clean. I even cut a hole in the ice cream container so they could still use the space under the waterer.

8. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I placed mine up on bricks and it doesn't get gross nearly as quickly. My main problem was shavings and it was virtually eliminated by just raising it up some.

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:What is it with the nipple hate? Do you know they don't peck and get a drip, peck and get a drip, peck and get a drip unless they're mostly playing? When they're really thirsty, they hold the nipple to the side and the water flows into their beak and down their throat. I'm pretty sure it's actually quicker to get water with a proper-height nipple than scooping from a pool and tipping the head back for each sip.

ha, no nipple hate here...its just I am new to chickens, 1 year now, and started out with the regular waterer...just watched one of mine dip their entire beak in and go back for more...I guess I think that is more "enjoyable" if that is possible...I am not against anything someone finds works for them...notice I said, "I have not used the nipples"....I am sure they are great..I live in a small area, with a limited shopping area, so I bought what was on hand, thus a traditional waterer.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't know how old your chicks are but initially I keep my chicks for the first couple of weeks or so, in a wire cage and the water stays pretty clean. I do change it usually 2 or 3 times a day.
    This is what I use now.
    [​IMG]

This is also another cage in their coop. I keep the water in the cage with the cage door open so they can go in and out. They know where their water is.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by