Water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dec1an, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Dec1an

Dec1an Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    Hello everyone,

This may be a strange question but I am wanting to know abit about drinking water for chickens.
    I have numerous drinkers filled up everyday with clean water. My question is would dirty water be a problem? Ive seen sometimes when they dont seem phased by drinking out of muddy puddles and out of my pond. Would the water from my pond etc have any harmful paracites in that i need to be aware of and if so what to look out for if they do become ill such as sneezing or odd coloured poo.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know what you mean, My chickens drink out of my little water feature and muddy puddles. I try to keep the water feature clean but algae does build up. My chickens havent had any problems from drinking dirty water... I think as long as there's no fecal matter in the water, or dead fish or anything like that then you should be fine. If you are worried, cordon off your pond or cover it with netting to prevent them from drinking it. ACV - apple cider vinegar - in their water supply help prevent illness.

Hope that helps! :)

3. Dec1an

Dec1an Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    Thanks for your response! I thought as much but i just wanted to make sure, some of the hens are sneezing and I wanted to make sure it wasnt from their water. I do add cider vinegar occasionally but have been using spice in their food, someone suggested it and it seems to be doing pretty well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by